A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, November 26, 2007

Next to the triathlete

There's this dude, I'll call him Steve, who comes to Spin class. Tonight he was on the bike next to me. He does these half-marathons and triathlons (when he's not working or in Spin class) and so I should not have been surprised when he didn't take the breaks between songs. They aren't long, mind you, but you usually need them for water or a towel break. He kept pumping the gas even on the breaks. He told me before class that he would do that because, he figures, he doesn't take such breaks on his runs.
A couple of times, the Competitive Gene reared its head in me and I kept pedaling between songs. Then I thought to myself, "Self, you aren't training for a triathlon."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an unrelated question for you. I saw on your profile that you listed Henry Nouwen as a favorite. I have seen his name around alot and would love to check him out. I think I even have a few of his books on my Amazon wishlist, but what would you recommend I start with?

Thanks
Leslie

Allison Kennedy said...

Hey
I LOVE his writing. I wish i'd gotten to meet him. will get back to you about some sort of "starter." (he wrote a lot of books!)
stay tuned.
allison