A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, March 3, 2008

Um, what?

An op-ed piece by Charlotte Allen in Sunday's Washington Post has a few people--male and female, saying, "What?"
Here it is.
Don't know about you, but I was fortunate to grow up with parents who encouraged me to do whatever I pleased for a living--be that homemaker, journalist, scientist or garbage collector. The main message was: "Do what you enjoy doing and give it your all," without regard for how I might be restricted, for being female.
It was very freeing.
This essay does what I think is a dangerous thing, or two dangerous things: Painting people (male and female) into broad categories, and then expecting others to follow.
Here's a response from Hotair.com: "It’s the old ‘nature vs. nurture’ dilemma: how come there are no boys fainting at Obambi rallies? Is it genetics or culture? Don’t know the answer. My wife is a damned good doctor, but she has trouble telling ‘left’ from ‘right’. Fortunately, she is not a surgeon."
Thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Charlotte Allen's column is dumb and insulting. I did understand better, though, when I saw she listed Margaret Thatcher as one of the women she most admires. Allen must be interviewing for a job as a right-wing radio host.
You are extraordinarily lucky to have been raised by your parents, and their encouragement of you shows in your acts. For women my age, the doors were closed tight to many things. Beginning in the late 60s, I was an active and outspoken feminist. Women have made tremendous strides, but I was surprised recently to read that very young women typically deny they are feminists. How the heck do they think they got where they are?
Thank you for sending the magazine. It will soon wend its way forward to a relative or friend. Thanks again.

Allison Kennedy said...

Hey, you're welcome. .. I think there is some sort of backlash against feminism, or just the word, or what it represents--or all the above. I think most women would say they want the payoffs of the feminist movement without the baggage. But it's all part of the story.