A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Anyone else bothered by this?


"There I was," as a friend of mine says, walking to my car after Spin class, and this bumper sticker on the back of a truck hit me at eye level. I'm sure those who would vote for Sen. Clinton are disturbed by it--but is anyone who hates her guts bothered by it? I'm also quite aware of the toxic fumes that are directed at President Bush, and particularly one of the bumper stickers that says "M the Moron" instead of "W the President."
But the B- word? Is that over the top? It is to me. (All of which reminds me of the woman's question last year at a rally for Sen. John McCain: "What are we going to do about the bitch?")
I'm not so naive to think that people don't use this word all the time in the same sentence with Sen. Clinton. Yet putting it on a bumper sticker really disturbs me.
As I write this, many are reacting to a speech given by Sen. Barack Obama earlier this week about race. (Here's the link.) The subject came up because his pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Chicago, said some things against white people in this country. Many are saying Sen. Obama opened up a national conversation about racial tensions--and about how our country is great and so forth, but that we have this tainted history that continues now.
My question: Isn't it also time to have a national conversation about misogyny?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the bumper sticker is disgusting. Unless we're talking about female dogs, bitch is not used in what we used to call polite company. That would include the public who can't avoid seeing bumper stickers.
Of course we need to have a conversation about misogyny. But, as you know, my concerns about race trump those every time. I was very active in NOW and well-known for those activities in Atlanta. I marched, wrote, spoke, was interviewed and lobbied the awful Georgia legislature, among other things. I have celebrated every step forward women have made, and we have made many. But race touches both men and women, and I won't preach about it any more. I will quote David Gergen, a Republican, who said on a news show last night that he remembered a black colleague bringing his adorable 5-year old son to the office. Everyone told him how darling the boy was, how cute. The dad looked at David and said, "Yes, they say that now, but when he is 10 years older they will cross the street if they see him coming."

Allison Kennedy said...

Wow. and you're right, race affects all.
But also, men AND women attack women--so it's all a problem.

MaggieandBandit said...

From Maggie: I agree. That title is reserved to female dogs like me, and it shouldn't ever be used in that context. It's sad to see humans who are less tolerant than animals.

Karyn said...

So my opinion is this,when poeple bash politicians, male or female, white or black, Christian or not, they are persecuting people for what they are... but remember that they are not including everything they also are, like their credentials, IQ scores,jobs,financial statuses, etc. IF those kind of bumper stickers existed, people would shut up more, and probably not put them on their car because they probably out weigh most of the average American's accomplishments, AND THAT'S WHY THEY ARE RUNING FOR OFFICE- BECAUSE THEY ARE ABOVE AVERAGE! Bumper people...Give them a break and find something in your own life to fix, right?

Brad Barnes said...

I love calling guys bitch. But that's fun because it's clearly not a good fit for the word. And beeyotch is fun to say. But I'm pretty liberal with my language and think we're too hung up on things that "shouldn't be said." ... On the flip side, I think our country is showing a scary lack of respect for leaders -- or at least the offices they hold. I may not like George W. Bush, but I have to respect the office of president. ... But I'm still gonna get me one of those "Hang Up and Drive" bumper stickers, by God.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe Rev. Wright's comments were directed towards all white people as you say. Now, I don't agree with everything he said, or consider it appropriate, yet he did speak some truth. This country is controlled by rich white people, just like he said. We have supported terrorism abroad for "american interests". Racism does still exist today, thsoe who do not see it are blind to reality. And Hillary does not know what it's like to grow up poor and black in America.