A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Southern woman's nightmare


So tonight I went to this church service, featuring this professor,
who sculpted a piece of religious art out of clay, right there in front of God and everybody. Pretty incredible. Anyway, beforehand I was chit-chatting with the oboe player and the piano player and the narrator for the service. The piano player said, "I remember you; I played for your wedding." And then I (sort of) remembered her and there was this pause and then she said, "You're welcome."
And the whole next hour, I was obsessing. Did I write her a thank-you note? If not, did she think I am the World's Biggest Loser?
(Now, before you think I should remember the person who played for our wedding, know this: The usual person, a guy named Jack, was sick that day. And we got married during the regular service, on a Sunday. And it's a pretty big church. And the organ, which is tucked away up front with the choir, is not real visible anyway. So.)
Nancy, a thank-you note is on the way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does a red vein pop out on your forehead and blink guilt/guilt/guilt when you're in one of these moods?Otherwise it isn't clear to me why the musician was so determined to be thanked Her mama did not fetch her up the right way.She could have said something gracious, like "I enjoyed playing for your wedding and I hope you liked it." You could then say, "It was beautiful and we appreciated it so much." Her pregnant pause for you to say thank you was just a bit too much.
Go easy on youirself.

Allison Kennedy said...

You make a good point! Thanks. ..