A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tears without fears


Internet, how often do you cry?
I was thinking of this just now, while reading one of my favorite blogs, and then thought, "I should blog about this!" Because, when you have a blog (and a quota), you always have the antennae up. So I Googled crying and here was some interesting stuff from "Emotional Processing" in the UK:
"It is a widespread belief in the western world that crying is therapeutic and also the converse, that failure to cry is a danger to our health. Randolph Cornelius (1986) systematically analysed the content of popular articles on weeping in the press from 1850 to 1985 and found a major theme was that crying was considered an important means of releasing physiological tensions; if it wasn't released, it would find an outlet in some other way, such as affecting the person's body and possibly causing disease. Ninety-four percent of articles recommended letting tears flow."
For more on this topic, click here.
Have you seen the movie "Broadcast News"? The Holly Hunter character, who works for a D.C. news station, makes herself cry every day, to relieve stress. I've always been envious of that. Me? I tend to save it up. I might cry in a movie, for instance, but that's once in a blue moon. Every six months or so. Then that will trigger every bad memory since kindergarten. In which case I will cry harder. Then I feel so much better afterward.

P.S. Now the guy (or girl) who was posting spam on here--the person who insisted I'm a crazy person (and, really, who isn't?) will have a field day with this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I don't know if crying is good for you, but I know that I basically stopped crying as a child. Very neurotic, but it made me feel more powerful and children, as we know, have no power. Since the tumor operation, though, I cry much more easily. I still don't cry over "issues," but I cry over every sweet word and story. I keep telling myself to stop saying, "I'm about to cry," but I'm easily moved. Good thing, I guess.

Allison Kennedy said...

I think it is a good thing, to be easily moved.