A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Scrambled


Georgia, especially the southern portion of the state, has a variation called the scrambled dog (or dawg, as it is colloquially known). Originating in Columbus (that's here!), it is a cheap, usually red-skinned hot dog, served on a toasted white bun and topped with mustard and spicy chili. This particular chili contains beans and has large chunks of diced raw onion mixed directly into the prepared sauce before being spooned onto the dog.
The Scrambled dog in its traditional configuration was invented at now-defunct cigar store and newspaper stand run by Firm Roberts on Columbus' Broadway beginning in 1908. The most famous purveyor of the dog today is the city's Dinglewood Pharmacy, where it is topped with ketchup, mustard, chili with beans, onions, sliced dill pickles, and oyster crackers. Scrambled Dog purists do not put cheese in any form on the dog. While the recipe is relatively consistent on a city-by-city basis, each town has a unique opinion on the propriety of the presence or absence of American cheese on the hot dog. Typically a scrambled dog meal is regarded as incomplete unless accompanied by a Coca-Cola (which also originated in Georgia).
— Wikipedia.com

Good thing I like to Spin, and like those Stability Balls. Had this today for lunch, at Dinglewood.
If you are ever headed to Columbus, look me up and I'll treat you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about if you already live here? I love scrambled dogs, with extra onions!

~Leslie

Allison Kennedy said...

Then I'll treat you!

MaggieandBandit said...

From Maggie: Ok, we're a bit insulted by this. "Red-skinned" hotdogs? Wiener dogs should not be scrambled. Ever. Bandit's getting old and sometimes he's a bit addled. That's really the only scrambled dog we're interested in.
However, if you drop the crackers, we'll eat them.

Allison Kennedy said...

Then come on over!
Remind the Lowdogs that it's pig, not dogs.

Unknown said...

I love to eat at Dinglewood but I've never been brave enough to try a scrambled dog (and I love hot dogs--sorry lowdogs.)
So add me to your list of locals who will take you up on the offer!
Hope you're in your new car by now. Cheers--Bebe

Allison Kennedy said...

Hey, no new car yet. Next week. So I will treat you too!
Love, me

Kearsmom said...

I have obviously not been here in a while, or I would have already seen this and commented. Even full on Chinese takeout, that just made my mouth water and memories rush in!

Ahhhhh....THAT just may be worth coming to Columbus. Or at least stopping on the way through...

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a scrambled dog recipe, as taught to me by my ex as an old Navy recipe... had hot dogs, chile BBQ and saltines and I cannot remember the rest!