A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"If the phone don't ring, it's me"

This is an interestine piece from the Times, from Saturday.
It seems that a new feature called Slydial (get it?) can allow you to let someone know something without having to actually talk to them. Which is pretty cowardly if you think of it (as says the last line in the story).
Say you want to break up with Steve. (Or Jane, to be fair.) But you think text messaging or e-mail is too impersonal. But you don't necessarily want to get into all the reasons and such in an actual conversation. Slydial lets you leave Steve or Jane a message without having his phone ring. It goes straight to voice mail.
This really cracks me up.
Technology is great in soooo many ways but what happens when we get so impersonal we don't know how to relate to people anymore?

P.S. Slight confession: E-mail was invented just for me. The older I get, the less I like talking on the phone. Could jab for hours as a teen-ager but not anymore.

2 comments:

MaggieandBandit said...

You should use that to negotiate with your car dealer. That will throw him for a loop.

Allison Kennedy said...

Hahaha!
(In this case, actually, I wish I could.)