A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, August 4, 2008

Negotiations


So. I started the business of negotiating for a new car today. It's been 10 years. Regular readers of this blog will know that my current car--an otherwise reliable Honda Accord--is possessed by the devil. Which might be a sign.
So I went out to the dealer and met a nice guy named George (yes, he is nice); and we had a good chat as we drove around for a test-drive. Being in the business I'm in, I know his pastor so that was a good connection.
When we got back, he wrote down some numbers, including what they would give me for my car. I'd already been doing some research in the Kelley Blue Book so I knew what I was facing. And their numbers square pretty well.
My next questions are these:
1) How do you politely say, "Lower your price?" and how possible is it that they'll do it? Because there's really no point in paying what's on the sticker.
2) The price George gave me, with trade-in allowance, Is that THE final price or is that without tax, tag and title?
3) Would you recommend my going this alone, or taking Michael? Mainly I want to see it through to the end, solo, because what if Michael got hit by a truck and couldn't go with me? I've bought two cars already without "reinforcements."
Yet I also know the reality that having a man along, whether the salesman knows it or not, gives a sense of back-up and perhaps added power. Going solo? Let's just say my previous buying experience in another city felt like that scene with Jodi Foster in "The Accused."
Not to put too fine a point on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was forced to buy a car with my dad along when it was not quite up to par because I was a young girl who supposedly could not handle the negotiations. Ever since that mistake I have handled every negotiation myself. Don't let anyone push you around because of any misconceived impressions of what you know and who you are.

My advice is go in with your limit and what you want and politely stick to those boundaries with the expectation that the sales team is to accommodate you if they are going to close the deal. Of course in most negotiations there has to be room for movement, but knowing what you want and what you can afford is the first step. So make a list of what you want from the car - not what kind of car you want. For example you do not want to walk in and say I want a BMW for $10K. But you may want some of the features of a BMW and your wallet is saying $10K - just throwing some numbers out there.

From there you tell the sales guy what you want (features) get somewhere in your price range and then tell them what you have in your pocket to spend. Let them work out the details.

Another trick I learned is to get your financing done BEFORE you go to the car dealer. The past two cars I bought I applied for a loan on lending tree first, got a loan, and walked into the dealer with a check in hand. It made the process SO MUCH EASIER.

Good luck.

Allison Kennedy said...

Thanks, and this is good stuff!

Unknown said...

Good advice from Sherry. I don't think it would be awful to take Michael, but you two must agree on tactics before you go in. I think your next step should be to go to another dealer, even if you have to drive to LaGrange or Albany. Even call another dealer. You will feel guilty about shopping this guy's price but, believe me, everybody does it.
How did I get so cynical about car dealers? I don't know, but I do not think he gave you the final price. He may call you and offer a lower price before you even go back. Good luck, sweetie, and good driving!