A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Repair shop or dealer?

Here's a story I just saw on AOL.
(It has nothing to do with health or fitness, unless you put finances in the health category, which I do.) The Consumer Reports survey says that people are generally more satisfied with taking a sick car to an independent mechanic than a dealer. Myself, I've had good luck with both--but generally my pocketbook comes out better with my mechanic who by the way has a great sense of humor and looks me in the eye when we speak.
Both important.
He has some issues: He doesn't call you back, even when he says he will (you generally have to hound him); and if you can stand the cramped space he calls his office and his mother sitting there smoking and coughing; and the bathroom that's not exactly featured in Southern Living--then you can hang.
Because he's honest and he won't fix anything that doesn't need fixing. And because he doesn't have a whole lot of overhead, you don't pay more than you need to.
If I had a new car that was under warranty, heck yeah I'd go to the dealer.
But when you find a good mechanic who doesn't rape your checkbook and shoots straight with you--that's golden.

1 comment:

MaggieandBandit said...

We think this is about health and fitness: Staffer Mom's always happier when she know she hasn't been ripped off. And we're all healthier when she's happy!