A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, June 16, 2008

Guest blogger!


An occasional feature here at the Spin Cycle, our guest blogger for today is none other than Michael Owen (my husband).
(Actually, come to think of it, we have never had a guest blogger. First time for everything.)

Balancing quality and quantity
It was a Father’s Day devoted more to fatness than fitness.
We went to Atlanta Sunday to visit my father, who is 90 years old and a great-grandfather – two things I will never be if I keep eating the way I did that day.
After a nice visit, Allison suggested we stop by Whole Foods on the way out of town. There, we bought two ribeyes of Old Testament dimensions. These bad boys weighed more than a pound apiece and had more marble than the Louvre.
Back home, I fired up the grill and threw a couple of ears of Silver Queen on the top rack. When the temp got up well over 500 degrees, I tossed the steaks on the cast iron lower grate and seared the beejeebers out of them.
As they sizzled, crackled and caused periodic fat-dripping eruptions from the coals, I enjoyed my special recipe for water:
1.) Freeze water into cubes.
2.) Sautee cubes in bourbon.
It’s an old family recipe.

When the steaks were properly seared, I moved them to the top rack to finish cooking more slowly. This method allows me time to finish my water, and we all know the importance of proper hydration.
Then came a great ending to a great day.
After spending time with my dad, brother, his wife, my daughter and her two boys – four generations – I sat down to a huge steak and watched the exciting last round of the U.S. Open. Normally, the TV is shut down at meal time, but this was a special occasion.
So how does all this fit into a fitness blog?
Well, life is about quality as well as quantity. Sunday was one of those
once-in-a-while days devoted solely to the former. And, while it may reduce the latter a bit, I can live with that.

2 comments:

MaggieandBandit said...

We always wondered how to spell beejeebers, and we plan to use it in a blog very soon!

Anonymous said...

Beejeebers isn't in the dictionary. Closest I could find was bejeezus, which is close, but not quite adequate.
http://reference.aol.com/dictionary?dword=%20bejeezus