A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, June 23, 2008

Prison gruel?


The normally reliable MarthaStewart.com threw me for a loop with this recipe.
Check out all the spices in it.
It ended up really watery, and bland.
At first, Michael said, "This isn't that bad." (He was being nice.) I had more colorful language for it. Then he said Martha might have picked up this recipe in prison. We opted for plan B. (Sandwiches.)
Calling all the gourmets out there: What could be the problem?

3 comments:

MaggieandBandit said...

No chili powder, and there's no way that's going to thicken that fast. We've watched Staffer Mom cook chili a bunch, and there's no way. We're sure there's a reason for the vinegar, but it sounds like adding acid with nothing to offset it. We'd recommend some sour cream. We'd also recommend another recipe. Call Staffer Mom for her fave, "Bandit's Breath Chili."

Anonymous said...

I agree that it needed chili powder and more time to thicken. Maggie and Bandit beat me to it!

~Leslie

Allison Kennedy said...

Thanks. ... I should have gone for my old stand-by from Miss Betty (Crocker).
Just wanted to try something new.
Michael said I should send Martha my grocery bill.