A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, June 19, 2008

At what price?


Here's an interesting quiz I just found.
The context: Today my car is in the car-hospital, which lately has been its second home. My mechanic, who's good and trustworthy (BOTH!) is my new BFF. I really like him but I don't like paying all this money. So I was thinking, What would be my limit of things I would sell in order to pay for something pricey like a car repair? (Last night, Michael and I were threatening to sell the cat. But he overheard us, so we won't.)
Then in my Googling I found the quiz.
More context: After such bad news with The Car, I start to play the Perspective Game. You probably do it too: Well, at least I have my health. (And I do, and I'm thankful.) And lots of people are flooded out of their homes in Iowa. And children are starving in Africa, and even in parts of our city.
I feel better.
But also, still poorer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Allison. Thanks for commenting on my blog posting about the cutbacks at the paper. I will respond tomorrow or the next day, but I've been a slow blogger for a few days now. I'm fine, though.
If you are interested in comments from other people in towns where McClatchey's economizing (or whatever you want to call it) hit hard, go to
http://judys-stew.blogspot.com/
Her first two paragraphs in her latest post are about the 90 people cut from her local paper.
My budget woes are cat-related, not car-related like yours. The Scruffster has recently started pooping in my bedroom instead of his box. So much for the perfect cat.
Anyway, without going into more yucky details, he saw the vet today for the second time in a week. Turns out he has a urinary infection--some sort of cystitis. This raises a prickling (pardon the expression) question--I have suspected that he sneaks out at night, but his illness must mean that he spends all that time having too much fun with female cats.
The vet made Scruffy extremely unhappy when he took a syringe and drew fluid from the feline's bladder. Scruffy maintained his usual control of the situation, though. While the doctor went to another room to look at the specimen, the cat peed all over the bench where I sat with him in the examining room. Of course the urine hit me, too (just a little bit). Then, after the doctor, two assistants and I cleaned up the mess, I went to pay the bill and put Scruffy up on the counter where the assistants fussed over him. He showed his appreciation for their attention by vomiting all over the counter.
I brought him home with some pain medication and an unbelievably expensive bag of cat food that is supposed to bring his bladder back "Into balance."
Of course I still adore him, but who knew that cats' bladders must be balanced?
Going to feed him the new food now. Oh, and he has to lose four pounds. Good luck with your car and my cat, and meows to Bisquick, who will surely applaud Scruffy's behavior.

Allison Kennedy said...

If Bisquick had to lose 4 lbs., he'd go on a hunger strike. :)