A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, April 10, 2008

"I'll have the salad"


At the Waffle House?!
While on my lunch break today, I pulled into this little slice of Americana and a woman was eating with her son in the next booth. Son appeared to be a teen-ager and, true to form, ordered a waffle with a side of eggs and bacon. His mom opted for the salad, with low-fat dressing.
Fine if you want to do that, but when I think Waffle House, I normally think "scattered, smothered and covered," not "time to graze."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm I love the pecan waffles!

~Leslie

Allison Kennedy said...

Me too!
and hold the salad. ... Sheesh.

Unknown said...

That's a hysterical story. I've eaten in many Waffle Houses and I've never seen anyone order salad. I'm with you and "twenty cents" on the pecan waffles, but anything green at WH would make me nervous.
Reminds me of a line from the movie, The Odd Couple, which I will probably misquote.
They're playing poker with the guys when Oscar serves sandwiches. Rufus takes a bite and grimaces. He opens the sandwich and says, "What is this, Oscar? It's green."
Oscar says, "It's either very old meat or very young cheese."

Allison Kennedy said...

Funny!
My choral teacher in college had a band on the side called Scattered, Smothered and Covered.

MaggieandBandit said...

Staffer Mom says salads at Waffle House are a waste of time and effort. We'd agree. Except we think salads are always a waste.

The only time we we eat green food is when our tummies are upset and we eat grass.

Kearsmom said...

Salad at Waffle House...sounds like something my mom would do...