A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, January 7, 2008

Soup's on



Here's a recipe sent in by Faithful Reader Charlotte Kennedy (OK, my mom):
Called Santa Fe Soup:

2 pounds lean ground beef (I used 1 pound)
1 large onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
2 cans shoepeg corn
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
2 pkgs taco seasoning

Cook beef with onions, drain, add all other ingredients in a covered soup pot and cook slowly for 2 hours. You can top with such things as corn chips, green onions, sour cream or cheese. I like to serve with tortilla chips of warm cornbread.
Then I found this recipe that doesn't seem to take as long.

If you do some testing, as we aim to do soon, lemme know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm what time is dinner? I'll bring the cornbread! Sweet or regular?

~Leslie

Allison Kennedy said...

Regular. We don't like the sweet stuff. :)
Also, we just ate the recipe from the link (not the one my mom sent) and it was pretty de-lish. It made a ton.

Unknown said...

Allison, did you use the Velveeta the online recipe called for? Sounds great except for that. Just wondering if grated cheese would work. The only thing I use Velveeta for is to mix it with RoTel tomatoes for the famous Arkansas (or MIssissippi) dip. Cheers--Bebe

Allison Kennedy said...

Hey, the recipe had the Rotel in it (normally I would be averse to processed cheese also), but it turned out pretty well. A quick meal.

Anonymous said...

OK but if I bring the kids (and remember I have 4) I have to bring sweet AND regular.

;)
Leslie

PS I make that same dip with Velveeta.

Allison Kennedy said...

Sure bring 'em on!
:)