A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Germs!


So in spin class the other day, these two friends, both of whom are nurses, were warning about germs that build up in recycled water bottles. (Bottles you drink from time and again.) Guilty. Those plastic bottles (Deer Park and Evian among the brands) are too expensive for me to buy time and again, so I re-use them and they pile up in my car and under seats, making it resemble the landfill. I use a thicker plastic bottle on my road bike. Yet it, too, builds up bacteria. Several Internet articles reveal that you can contract everything from dysentery to vomiting to cancer in using the same bottle time and again; but this story both sheds light and refutes at least the cancer rumor. (See the Snopes link.)
To err on the side of caution, wash your bottles with hot water and use bleach.
Meanwhile, I'm not aware that I've contracted a fatal illness from my unhealthy water-bottle habits, or even the lesser stomach variety. Stay tuned. Anyone else have a take on this?

No comments: