A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, February 26, 2007

The "Do-Si-Do" Compulsion

More on Girl Scout cookies (of which that is one type). On the way home from the grocery store, I heard this guy on NPR give a hilarious commentary on the annual sales tradition. He referred to one kind as the crack cocaine of Girl Scout cookies. You can check it out here. Other points of interest: The cookies seem extra special, he said, because a) they're only sold once a year and b) "you have to know somebody" in order to buy them. Not that it's so difficult with booths set up here and there; but still, an appealing thing is that one child--or maybe more--will approach you just after the first of each year with her little form and say, "Do you want to buy some Girl Scout cookies?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is our first year without Girl Scout cookies. My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and I don't want to eat in front of him. And frankly, with my weight, I don't need them anyway. But I will say this: There is not anything much better than a frozen Thin Mint cookie. We always bought a box, hid it in the back of the freezer and "discovered" it in mid-summer. Yum!

Allison Kennedy said...

Those are great after the freezer, I agree. With a tall glass of milk. Since you can't partake, at least not this year, I'll be sure to eat your portion :)