A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Coffee talk


So here I am with my Fat Tuesday pancake hangover, sipping a cup of coffee; and over at WebMd, there's a video about how coffee can be good for you--it helps prevent certain diseases such as cancer, and osteoporosis, and even can reduce tooth decay (which is hilarious in itself since I had two cavities filled Tuesday, my first in 25 years. But I digress.)
Then this official-looking woman in a white suit--probably a doctor--comes on the video and basically says, "Not so fast." You wouldn't want even two servings a day of mocha latte with whipped cream, since that's a whopping 1,500 calories, she says. And we don't know yet about all this prevention of disease. And, she says, coffee preparation itself can be bad for you. There are countries where it's customary to BOIL the coffee beans. Bad, bad, bad.
A link close to the coffee video reports on water consumption. Apparently the rule of eight, 8 oz. of glasses a day is so 20th century. Women need 91 oz. a day, and men need 125 oz. (which is a lot, but they're including foods and anything with water in it). The report also says drink when you're thirsty, and don't get dehydrated if you work out a lot. Pretty common-sense stuff. Meanwhile I am drinking my cup-o-joe to balance out (don't read this next thing, Mom) the three pancakes and 3 pieces of bacon and sausage I ate last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I drink that much water, i'll be getting some exercise, no doubt!