A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, February 19, 2007

Brushing aside


Happy Monday.
Have you ever wondered about the age of the spices in your cabinet? Unlike milk, there's no expiration date. Dried herbs and spices lose their flavor over time, Tina Ujlaki, executive food editor for Food & Wine magazine, says in a report posted today on AOL. Whole spices, such as star anise or coriander, may last slightly longer -- less of the spice is exposed to the air. To tell if your spices are past their prime, open the bag or jar and take a whiff. "If there's no scent, there won't be any flavor," she says.
In this link, there are more tips about other household items, such as the shelf life (so to speak) of your toothbrush. Some of the expiration dates may surprise you.


1 comment:

Brad Barnes said...

I was actually wondering about this when I made those fried mashed taters over the weekend (which I know I shouldn't even meantion on a health and fitness blog, but whatever). I used some garlic salt that I think I moved to Columbus with in '99. I had to siphon off the coagulated bits on the top.

Still, I didn't die, and the food sure was tasty...