A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tech support: A journey through hell

Not to put too fine a point on it.
We got a two-page letter the other day from our cable company, saying that we (or someone accessing our wireless network) were in violation of copyright laws. When I Googled the company, it was for some kind of gaming system. We don't play computer games. Yesterday I called the company and they told me what to do. They figured someone hacked into our network.
Last night, I got online to see how to do what they instructed. Didn't work. As a last resort, I called tech support. I was on hold for about 45 minutes. Same muzak, over and over and over. (Did I say over?) And nothing interesting either, like "Wind Beneath My Wings" or "Old-Fashioned Love Song."
Finally. Techie comes on the phone and he thanks me for staying on hold and we start working through the problem. He suggests a couple of things, which don't work. All the while, there's a language barrier (and probably on my end, too. I have a pretty thick Southern accent). I am also not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to the inner workings of technology. So I kept asking him to repeat things. "What? Where is that? I don't understand," etc.
We're on the phone so long, my computer battery signal starts to blink. Michael runs to get an extension cord. It's like the Keystone cops. Techie has me try the fix on the other computer, which works. Thank God! But then after I hang up (after TWO HOURS) I realize I have to do the re-set on the first laptop.
All for some (probable) pimply-faced kid who knows a thing or two about hacking and could get us fined a sum containing too many zeroes.
I don't know about you but many days, I daydream of playing in a cave with sticks and mud.

No comments: