A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's the first to go?

"I think real desperation will be apparent when Americans start systemically forgoing air conditioning in the summer."
-- Letter to Salon.com

What are you forgoing during this non-recession/slump/recession/Depression (depending on which politico has the microphone)? The typical answer is lattes at Starbucks and I must say, those people have a point. These days a new local Starbucks is the place I go to catch up on reading. When I was there for about two hours last Saturday, hardly anyone came in. Maybe five people. (For the record, my poor self wasn't drinking expensive espresso. Just water.) Meanwhile, the two employees were as cheerful as ever, conversing between themselves.
So if we use Starbucks as a metaphor for the service industry as a whole, what else goes? I'd guess tanning beds — but then I think of all the people in my gym who use them incessantly and I think, "Nah." Restaurants? Maybe. Depends on which one.
Maid service, for sure.
What do you think? How have you saved in this $4-gallon-gas economy?

No comments: