A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Friday, July 25, 2008

Ghost in the machine


Regular readers of this blog will know my car is inhabited by a ghost. But don’t take my word for it; my mechanic said so Thursday. It’s back over there today, where they are replacing a part that didn’t work yesterday. The necessary part regulates the needle on my speedometer. (Kind of a necessary tool. Cop would say to me: “Miss, do you know how fast you were going?” “No, sir, I don’t.”)
So they’re fixing that, which was $88.
And also the gauge that shows the internal engine temp. Not working either.
Before vacation, the Ghost got a new transmission. Actually it was used but didn’t have many miles on it so that was about $900. There was also the little matter of an A.C. ring. 60 bucks.
Sometime before that: New clutch. About $400.
Driving around on vacation in early July, Michael noticed a dragging noise when he turned the wheel hard. Turns out, it was the plastic covering that runs under the car. Eventually, it dropped down so far we had to pull over in Gwinnett County, borrow some scissors at a convenience store and cut that sucker out. One side of it wouldn’t pull out, so we got some bungee cords to tie that off.
When I got back to town, the Honda people told me it’s just to keep the car aerodynamic and not really necessary. Whew. Dodged a bullet.
Cue “Dracula” music.
This past Monday, on what was to be a “routine” oil change and tire rotation/balance at another place, the guy called back and said my CV joints were bleeding oil. Apparently, that's something that doesn’t need to continue. Another $400, with the rotations, balance, etc.
The voice in my head began to scream, "Sell the sucker! Call the priest and have an exorcism!"
Then I think, I’ve spent all this money, I want to get something out of it; plus a car payment right now would not be exactly rank up there with my wedding day. (Although a reliable car would be nice.)
Thoughts? Anyone up for an exorcism?

P.S. To top off this stellar week, I just bumped into a preacher friend from across the river in our lobby. Looking me up and down he said, "You're bigger than you used to be. ... You're a BIG girl now." I said, "That wasn't very nice!" and changed the subject, but I wanted to say, "Preacher, meet me in Spin class and see what happens."
Calgon.

1 comment:

MaggieandBandit said...

Our thoughts:
- do the exorcism. it's got to be cheaper.
- we'll come bite that guy for saying that to you. just say the word.