A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Awaiting word


It's a strange place to be, waiting for news of someone's death. But here I sit, checking the computer compulsively about our friend L. He could die at any time and may have already; I just don't know. I do know that his wife and children are very special people, and I've no doubt they are sending him on his way in good fashion. Perhaps they are singing to him, or reading. I hope the dogs are licking his hands or feet.
L. survived more than a week (and counting) from the docs' prognosis. Three weeks ago, they said he had two weeks. But I chalk that up, in part, to our patient's good health outside of his brain tumor, and his fighting will.
As somewhat of an outsider (though L's wife is my cousin), it's been sort of a daily puzzle of what to do, what to say. When I feel powerless, as I do now, I ask myself what I can do; and that has meant pretty constant phone calls, e-mails and cards. Mainly I tell them of my love and care and prayers. The last I went out to the house was about a week and a half ago. After that, I'd have felt like a voyeur.
L's children are two girls, ages 7 and 12. My heart breaks for them especially. They are beautiful and smart and winsome. They are able to ask the "Why?" questions many of us adults would ask out loud, if (speaking only for myself) we weren't so concerned others would deem us weak in faith.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are not weak in faith, dear heart. Faith makes us hurt as we watch and wait. "Why?" is the eternal question. Your faith is great and you show it in so many ways.

Allison Kennedy said...

Thanks. .. It's good to hear from you.
Where's your blog??

Unknown said...

You caught me! I've been lazy about blogging for a while but I'm going back to it soon, probably this weekend. I did post something to Associated Content and hope you'll check it out. I will make $1.50 for every 1,000 people who go to it. It's just another warning about looking out for brain tumors, and I know that is a subject much on your mind these days. I think about you and your cousin's husband and family several times a day.
But, as you know, my brain tumor was benign. How lucky! I just want to let as many people as possible know that it is important to be aware of brain tumor symptoms, especially the unexpected ones. Let me know how you are. The AC link is
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/907993/do_you_have_a_brain_tumor.html?cat=5