A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Longing for letters


Do you know what I miss, Internet?
Letters. Stamps. Mail.
I don't mean, "I wish I got more letters in the mailbox," although it's thrilling when it happens. I mean the tradition thereof. Here I am typing on this keypad, and we can send an e-mail all around the world and it gets to the person pretty quickly. And we carry around these little phones and Blackberries (one guy in the office today said "Blackberry, Blueberry, whatever") and we are so ... connected.
But are we?
I try to practice what I preach and send cards and letters, though I wish I made more time for it. It's just something about holding that letter in your hand--given or received--and thinking of that person in a way that's different than sending an e-mail. (God knows I love e-mail. It was invented for an impatient person like myself.) But I think of the letters my father wrote to me while I lived away from here for 12 years (and especially the four when I was in college.) Nothing especially earth-shattering--usually news about my mother and the dog, in that order--but special.
Then there were the letters Michael wrote to me some years ago on a business trip he took by train, written on various sheets of pastel paper. There was a letter in my box every single day. This was before we were married. "Hello. How are you? There's a weird guy sitting next to me who got beat with an ugly stick." Or something to that effect.
Do you concur? Do you miss letters, too?

1 comment:

Kearsmom said...

Yes, I do concur. I try to do real letters as often as possible. I'd write you one, but I need an address. We need to figure that out...

Also, been in touch with the mom of an old friend of ours. She (the mom) isn't doing well at all, sigh...see...need real contact...