A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

Michael told me yesterday about this show on the Food Network, where this guy named Guy traverses the country to visit some of the local color, as the title suggests. We would have plenty of choices to offer him here. (However, I must say, being a lover of dives myself, sometimes the food is better than in some hoity-toity restaurant where you have to use the right fork.)
The show airs 10 p.m. Mondays.
Internet, what are some of your favorite dives?
My personal favorite was Pop's Truck Stop, in little Monteagle, Tenn. They are unfortunately now closed but a friend and I would go about once a week and throw down on the greasy burgers and sweet tea. Pop's, Rest In Peace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love dives, too, but I haven't found any great ones in Columbus. I do eat at Ruth Ann's and Dinglewood's, but I don't think they qualify for us true dive lovers. My favorite dive story--in the 70s, my former husband and I took our two sons to the huge craft show in Newnan. They had great food there, but I insisted we had to go eat at one of the "restaurants" in downtown. We chose the diviest one, and I assured everyone that the food would be greasy and great. It was greasy, but awful. My reputation as a food finder was further demolished when we saw a roach crawling across the floor and a picture of Richard Nixon above our table.

Unknown said...

p.s. Great story on the church arrest. Well, they didn't arrest the church, but you know what I mean.

Allison Kennedy said...

Hey, great story about the roach! ... Michael and I will take you to a dive! It has GREAT food but the ambience is greatly lacking.

MaggieandBandit said...

We love dives, too. The best one we know is next door where the squeaky chihuahua eats. It's mostly leftovers, but it's the good stuff.