A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"Obsessively organic"


You have got to be kidding me. Just now in the shower, I noticed this phrase on my bottle of shampoo. (This is not my "regular" shampoo but one I grabbed off the shelf while in Atlanta recently, as we were headed north on vacation.) I picked it because I like the color green--how's that for being "non-obsessive" about one's hair product? Anyway, the shampoo has worked fine in the few times I've used it, but mostly I've gone back to the old bottle--whose brand I can't remember but I bought it because the guy who cuts my hair said it was his most economical. I can tell you it's in a blue bottle. Works for me.
Back to the organic thing. I like supporting local farmers as much as anyone (which is part of the allure of the organic trend). I like knowing where my food comes from and, in a perfect world, the name of the cow who supplied our milk in the frig. Most of the time, we don't have a clue the source of our groceries. (unless we live on a farm and we never eat anything out of a box.) Now, after reading this label, I'm thinking it's not good enough for these marketers to say something is organic. Because practically everything on the shelves these days says organic. Things like lightbulbs and toenail clippers.
So I guess we've moved up a notch to OBSESSIVELY Organic. And there's this little R symbol after it, too, which means it's a trademark. Which means I might get sued for picking on their little phrase.
To read more about what organic means, click here.

2 comments:

MaggieandBandit said...

We're not organic, but we are obsessive. At least Maggie is.
We thought this was a fun entry, but we do worry that you've taken to reading shampoo labels.
Read our blog instead!

Allison Kennedy said...

Ruff. Ruff.