A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mental boost

Did y'all read the story from the New York Times about child/teen athletes using psychologists to help them work through phobias and fears? On the one side, you have the parents (and kids themselves) seeking an edge, just like they might invest in a better golf club or tennis shoe. On the other side: Feeding fantasies (The child's? The parents'? Both?) about being the Next Great Athlete.
Said a young gymnast who overcame a phobia on the uneven bars by employing a psychologist: “It made such a difference. We worked through the fear, and that has let me relax. I would tell anyone that it’s worth it.”
To read the whole piece, click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

can i get someone to help me figure out why i love to roll around on dead animals?

Allison Kennedy said...

Sounds like you need a good pet therapist. :)

Anonymous said...

I've always thought I should be a therapy dog. Mom says I'm good for her.

Anonymous said...

Amazing, a typing dog--do you have thumbs bandit?