A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Calorie fest


A friend once commented about New Orleans: "I don't know why everyone there isn't a 300-pound alcoholic."
Just back from Savannah, where I wondered the same thing.
Granted, I was visiting for only two nights, so I felt like I had to "suck the marrow out of life," as Thoreau would say, but it quickly became the Tour-de-Calorie. In such a situation, you can either a) fold up the menu and say, "I'll have the salad;" or b) "bring me one of everything." Our choices tended toward the latter.
After my friends got off work Friday, we went to this great place called Dewey's on Tybee Island. Wow. Some might call it a dive, because of the "laid-back" decor (see photo of bus parked in the yard); but dives often have the best food. Very eclectic and right on the water. Then Saturday morning, we started out at Panera Bread Co. because both friends had to get a haircut nearby.
Wife of the couple and I then hit downtown Savannah, where we managed to eat a light lunch in a cool area called the Market. (Also passed by people standing in line at Paula Deen's place,
but Deen--being smart--has those little water spritzers on the awning working ever so gently on the poor suckers who are wilting outside. Genius. Because it was about 95 degrees yesterday in the shade.)
Last night we ate at a great place on Isle of Hope, overlooking the water, watching schools of fish pass by in the marsh and stuffing our respective faces with dishes such as shrimp and grits. The Friends cooked breakfast this morning. Then I braced myself for what might be the most boring stretch of road in all of Georgia: I-16 between Savannah and Macon. In case you're wondering, there are 257 million pine trees between here and there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe we passed up the Grand Marnier French Toast.
Next time.

Allison Kennedy said...

All the more reason to come back!