A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Risk


What's your threshold of risk? Not necessarily in the daredevil category--but what sort of boundaries would you push, such as something other people might question or warn you about? Buying a racey outfit? Laughing out loud in church, just for the heck of it? Just before my solo trek to the mountains, a friend at the gym said, "Tell someone exactly where you are, and buy some pepper spray." Now, my husband and my parents knew the phone number of the place I stayed, and I had my cell with me at all times. (Not that there was a signal in spots, but it provided some level of comfort.) Yet, no one who cares about me knew exactly where I was for those 48-plus hours--nor did I buy any pepper spray or a gun or what-not.
The only time I was iffy about my surroundings was Friday, when I went to a part of the trail I'd never hiked before. Granted, it was only .9 miles one way, but you have to drive about 10 miles off the main road to get to it. The last 5 miles or so is on a remote gravel road. So I told myself if I got a bad vibe about anything at the trailhead, I'd just turn around and drive back. Turns out, there were several cars in the parking area, and a guy started hiking in the same direction at the same time I was. (We both acknowledged it was weird to be hiking with someone we didn't know, but soon we passed other people; and eventually I found out he lives in Atlanta, he has a wife and kids; and then I just had to ask, "So, are you an ax murderer?" He said no. (Whew!) Not many ax murderers are married, probably, although there was that "normal" killer from--where was it, Kansas?--who hid in plain sight all those years and held down a job and went to church and on his off-hours chopped people up. (Oh, yeah, here he is.) But I digress.
The thing is, you and I are MUCH more likely to be killed while driving a car than hiking. Sure, there have been trail killings--by animals and by people-- but the comparative odds are almost laughable.
I do acknowledge feelings of fear/vulnerability while setting out on such treks. Yet the payoff for me is much greater than the fear: enjoying some alone time, some deeper connection with nature than my regular routine and environs allow; much time to think, read and sleep. All in all, a calculated risk. What are yours?

No comments: