A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Eat for healing


Confused about all the health-food books out there, diet tips and food pyramids? A new book, with an interview here with author Joy Bauer, makes a lot of sense. It's not so diet-centric as many others. Bauer herself admits going overboard on her favorite snacks and relies mostly on common sense to help herself and others maintain healthy weight and nutrition. Here are two tips: 1) Eat slowly and 2) Get enough sleep. Both affect weight. Confession: The first one is tough for me. Either I'm in a hurry and I eat quickly or I'm so hungry after exercising, I don't let much of anything get in my way of woofing down a meal. Sleep? I'm OK with that. Not to turn this into a personal diary, but lately, post-exercise, I munch on carrot sticks or fruit to curb the appetite. That seems to help with the intake.
Bauer also hits on a typical American view of food: Going to one extreme or the other. We're either hyper-vigilant about eating healthy, or getting discouraged when we fall off the wagon and we eat a whole bag of Cheetos. Just an example. Bauer suggests a "healing" approach to diet and exercise. What does your body need? Listen to it. It will tell you. (But you might want to ignore: "Feed me extra-cheese pizza three meals in a row.")
What are your ideas?

No comments: