A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cornbread in the yard

Yes, we have about half a skillet of cornbread in the yard. I trust the critters will get to it by morning.
I was pulling the skillet out of the oven with an oven mitt. Then I must have tilted the pan a bit and the whole round piece went onto the floor. Fortunately we have a rug that caught most of it. So I went out and shook it off.
This was not such a bad thing because Michael and I can't eat the whole serving anyway.
Hope the squirrels enjoy it.
Here's the recipe. It's called Charlie's Famous Cornbread, named for our friend Charlie.

1 Tbsp. self-rising flour
1 egg
2 c. cornmeal
1 and one third cup buttermilk or milk (buttermilk is better)
One-fourth c. cooking oil.

Preheat oil in skillet at 450. Meanwhile, mix other ingredients. When preheating is complete, pour hot oil into batter and blend. Return to oven for about 25 minutes.
De-lish!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm cornbread!

Anonymous said...

UPDATE: Critters (raccoons, I suspect) ate the cornbread. We have a healthy raccoon population in these parts. Maybe we should have put out some butter for them, too.

I should also add that buttermilk is essential, not optional, in this recipe. Only a raccoon would eat cornbread made with regular milk.