A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Salazar unplugged


Here's a guy I'd never heard of: Alberto Salazar. What a cool name, too. Like Ricardo Montalvan.
(Around the time he was setting records running marathons, I was entering the naval-gazing phase of life called High School. No wonder I missed him.) We at the Spin Cycle, who prefer to cycle, are amazed by runners. We have a few friends who are serious runners and who themselves run marathons. But it's not in our nature. Hat's off to them.
Salazar flamed out relatively young and survived depression and a heart attack. Now he's coaching up-and-comers and working at Nike. Interesting fellow.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I saw him speak once, here in Augusta. I remember Elizabeth Kemple was there, writing for the paper. She asked some good questions. I don't really remember anything else (I too was naval gazing...)

Allison Kennedy said...

hey
cool! (that he was there.) i am admiring of such super-athletes. how's your boy?

Rachel said...

Totally healed! Thanks.