A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, October 1, 2007

Imaginary playmates


Did you, Internet, ever have imaginary playmates? (I mean, as a child. Don't tell me if you have them now as an adult.) I did. Their names were the following: Poopsie Gardner and Mr. and Mrs. Sweep Broom. In my case, the neighborhood where I grew up contained only boys, plus my older brother. I could play with them to some extent but inevitably there would come a time when I'd start crying, or they'd beat me up or both (which, upon reflection, was good training for my current profession.) I was age 3 or 4. So I just made up people who would be nice to me, notably a couple of girls. I remember Poopsie the most vividly. Kind of resembled the Lucy character from "Peanuts." My parents tell me that I even had an elaborate system with my plastic toys in the bathtub (this is probably more than you wanted to know) in which I enacted scenes with the imaginary friends.
Whew, there's an article that validates this. Click here.
I think Poopsie and the Sweep Brooms went to live with another child, eventually, after a girl neighbor moved in down the street and I didn't so much need them anymore.
You know you had them yourself but were afraid to confess. Until now.

No comments: