A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Singing in the rain: Cycling in the rain

I'll never head out while it's raining, but there's not much you can do if you get caught in it as happened today.
Started out humid (not unusual) and cloudy. Though the forecast called for 40 percent through the afternoon, I decided to chance it. At my usual halfway point (about 12 miles), I took a water and phone break. There were some ominous clouds off to the east, but I was going more north. Still thought I might escape. Within the second mile headed home, I was soaked and still had about 10 more to go. The wind was up, too. Stopped at a shelter and waited a bit while it slacked off. Talked to some guys out on a maintenance job. When I got about another mile down the road, I took a second break and chatted with another rider seeking shelter. He'd been about 5 miles and planned on 30 but was feeling discouraged, naturally. He immediately offered me an Advil. I was feeling fine, though soaked. He had this white shirt on and I asked if it was cotton, because it looked like it. "No," he said, "I learned that lesson a long time ago."

No comments: