A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mental illness: Carnegie

This is such an interesting piece about the Andrew Carnegie family.
One of America's most famous families, the Carnegies have homes on the coast of Georgia (Cumberland Island, which is largely protected), and two off Maine. They OWN these islands.
As idyllic as this may sound, their lives have not been completely charming. Mental illness has touched more than a few of them--in such severity that hospitalization was required here.
I'm glad Millicent Monk, a descendant of Thomas Carnegie (Andrew's brother) has written about it. Her memoir is aptly named "Songs of Three Islands." It's causing pain to Monk's daughter, who plans to tell her own version; they are estranged. But this hidden disease doesn't need to stay hidden.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Allison, reading this reminded me of the friend I told you about who was a Carnegie, although you would never have guessed it. . I looked her up on Google and learned she died in May and will be buried on Cumberland this fall. So sorry I lost touch with her when she left DC. Thanks for this piece that reminded me of her.

Unknown said...

Allison, reading this reminded me of the friend I told you about who was a Carnegie, although you would never have guessed it. . I looked her up on Google and learned she died in May and will be buried on Cumberland this fall. So sorry I lost touch with her when she left DC. Thanks for this piece that reminded me of her.