A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The latest obsession


Don't know about you, but sometimes I get fixated on things--like a dog with a chew toy--and it's hard to let go. Here's the latest: How do you answer the question "How are you?" when you're having a bad day?
This comes up a lot in the South. It's a greeting that's better than a "hello." But most of us, when we ask it, don't really want to know if the person is anything other than fine. Yet, yesterday I was having a really crappy day and on an interview for a story, these two guys asked me that question at the outset and I said, "Not good." I felt like it was right to say it, not to mention honest.
Now, it all depends on the setting. If someone operating a large crane yells the question down at you, how can you do anything but wave or give a one-word answer? Or if you're not comfortable with the person asking it, you don't have to elaborate; but what if you are in fact having a horrible day and someone you trust asks you, and you say FINE, isn't that a lie?
Internet, Help!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you're better now. I've been a grouch all week, for no particular reason, so I've stayed to myself. Hard to do when you're a reporter, though.