A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, July 30, 2007

Back in the saddle


And the saddle hurts. By that I mean The Bicycle. Having been off of one for more than a week, that seat got my attention Sunday. But don't cry for me; I have good padding.
Meanwhile, this piece in Time magazine caught my eye, partly because a photo from it features a North Carolina camp with which I'm somewhat familiar. Twice over two different summers, I worked at "sister" camps near Falling Creek. The article is about boys and how, after years of warning parents that boys are failing at this or that, boys are coming up just fine. Not better or worse than girls, but different. The camp portion of the article offers a vivid example of this. Given "structured freedom," the campers excel because they learn how to have fun and explore within certain paramaters. (On a side note: The book "Tongues of Angels" by North Carolina author Reynolds Price, also set at a boys' camp, is a thoughtful glimpse into the world of young boys becoming men.)
All of these new kudos to males should make my friend Rachel glad. She recently gave birth to her fifth child, and her fifth boy.

Photo courtesy of Falling Creek, Tuxedo, N.C.

No comments: