A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, March 9, 2009

Garrison Keillor

From time to time, I like to post a Salon.com column by Garrison Keillor. Here's one from February.
Garrison Keillor came to mind today because I heard this woman priest speak at a local luncheon; and her voice carried the same, soothing cadence as his. I could have listened to her, and him, read the phone book.
On the subject of his column--staying out of the obituaries as long as possible--I do agree that obits have become too sanitized. Just because someone dies and people are sad doesn't cover the fact that the dead guy, for example, was an S.O.B. his whole life. (The trick is how to say that without really saying it.) My husband says now that because family members or friends are the main ones writing obits these days, and therefore there's little fact-checking, he's going to make his up some stuff ahead of time. Something like this: "All of the living Presidents were pallbearers."

1 comment:

Kearsmom said...

My uncle, my mom's oldest brother, died last year. He was, well, a jerk (to say the least)...Actually, over the years, my mom and her other brother had more colorful names for him. It was very interesting (and somewhat entertaining) to listen to the people who gave eulogies at his funeral try to say he was a jerk in nice terms.