A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, December 15, 2008

Weird.


Lately I've been in a few situations in which I'm "trapped" with other people--namely, doctors' waiting rooms and today, waiting for my car to be serviced. A trend has developed: the people sitting near me feel compelled to start telling me everything that's going on with them. (I know, I know; children are starving in Africa and so this doesn't really rank up there.)
But how do you handle such things? Because I think I need a few pointers. I do know I can be a good listener, but. I'm just wondering what compels someone to start talking to another person while that person is clearly reading a magazine or watching the continuous news loop on TV?
Two women suckered me in today; the first one was worse by comparison but thankfully her car was ready before she could get going too much. The second woman started telling me how she should have let her dog outside because last time she left him in, he ate all the furniture. Then she asked how that governor in Illinois could have done what he did because "he's so good looking."
After awhile, I started thinking of that old slapstick movie "Airplane" in which passengers seated next to the blabbering man, who kept changing seats, committed suicide out of sheer boredom.

4 comments:

MaggieandBandit said...

We'd resort to rolling over on our backs and asking for a belly rub to draw the conversation to us, but we don't think that's what you should do.
We once saw a woman who didn't want to talk to her seatmate start hacking and snorting all over like she had the flu. The talker recoiled and all was right with the world. Try that.

Allison Kennedy said...

Good suggestion!

Unknown said...

Actually, rolling over on your back and asking for a belly rub would be much more effective. Let us know when you're going to try it.

Unknown said...

Actually, rolling over on your back and asking for a belly rub would be much more effective. Let us know when you're going to try it.