A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Friday, January 19, 2007

Up in smoke

The New York Times is reporting a story today from Bangor, Maine (www.nytimes.com, near the bottom of the site.)
It's about banning smoking in cars in which children are riding.
In my sleepy town on the Chattahoochee River, restaurants/bars recently banned smoking. Legislators are discussing the same in Alabama, which has caused some (as in Georgia) to complain about Big Brother. ... And here's a bumper sticker I saw in town recently: "At least I can still smoke in my car." But maybe not in Bangor.
As a non-smoker, I agree with this, especially where children--who have no say in the matter--are concerned. Yet, how far do you go in letting people make choices for themselves? And do as they wish in the confines of their homes/cars?
Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison, your question concerns legislating morality... is society as a whole, or individuals harmed by the practice prohibited? The answer here is yes. You could apply the same standard to any other vice or drug you care to name. If the actions of an individual harm others (and I would even throw in emotional harm as well as physical harm...) then it should be a prohibited act.

I am a smoker. I try very hard not to get others caught up in my habit. When I'm alone, I smoke. I also drink, but I don't drive. It is the same thing.

EBF said...

I understand the health concern for the well-being of all children, but how the heck to enforce it?

Allison Kennedy said...

Ebf--good question; it's like when New York banned handheld cell phones in cars. I suppose all a police officer has to do is glance at you to see if you're a) smoking and b) children are present.
??