A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Moderation


Though he may not have intended this, Charlie brought up an interesting point when he mentioned moderation. I thought about moderation in exercise. Sometimes we, myself included, can be so concerned about fighting the Couch Potato Syndrome that we go to the other extreme, neglecting relationships and other things. ... Yet, one person's definition of moderation may be another's extreme. A friend in graduate school HAD to run every day, and usually for great distances. She turned into Cruella Deville if she didn't, or so she said. Endorphines are a powerful thing. ... Any thoughts on this?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I agree with the need to exercise, Al. My doctor friend said daily exercise is as effective as taking an anti-depressant. He was telling me this because I was asking about meds during a rough patch. I wasn't exercising, which I normally do. Once I started back, I felt back to normal.

That's not to say no one should ever take meds; but for some, exercise is just as necessary.

Unknown said...

That is precisely what I intended, but not only in exercise...moderation in life. I had spent most of my younger years as an obsessive compulsive which ended up nearly killing me.