A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Monday, January 15, 2007

Spinning the life away

The name of my college phys-ed teacher came to mind in the spring of 2000, when I fell on the pavement three times after buying my first road bike. Other people saw this.
"Thanks, Scott," I muttered. Anyone who knows the words "clipping in" knows the difficulty at first — essentially locking your feet into place into bike pedals with special shoes — plus there was a whole new gear system to master. Twenty-seven gears in all. Hills are a particular problem, at first, in steadying oneself. But the bruises were worth it, and Scott truly remains in my debt because he gave me a gift some 20 years ago. It was this: The main point of physical exercise is prevention. Not fitting into some new article of clothing (although that would be nice), but being fit enough to ward off all kinds of things, namely the things that come with obesity. Heart disease. Diabetes. Stroke. Keeping fit isn't about a crash diet or starving oneself for a special occasion; it's about finding physical activity you love and sticking to it. It's about feeling good in physical and other ways, and not just a short-lived New Year's Resolution.
Now here we are with this fitness and health blog, a new venture at the Ledger-Enquirer.
The name comes from my preferred form of exercise — cycling — or "spinning" in group classes at my gym. (Though done on stationary bicycles, some confuse it with doing something with yarn.)
In this blog, I'll post interesting articles and tips; reports from health/fitness goings-on in the Chattahoochee Valley; and engage in conversations with you, the reader. I hope you will pass along interesting articles and happenings as well. Aiming for instruction rather than sermons, I don't have all the answers, and I have no medical training whatsoever. Like life, this blog will be a journey, a work in progress. That said, the subjects of health and fitness have become a passion and a lifelong pursuit, even before college, and I have found some things that work. And some that don't.
Please post often, with feedback, and your own ideas and suggestions. May we all get fit together.
I have but one request when posting, to me or anyone else: Be kind.
And have a great workout.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a long time survivor of very serious heart disease (5 MI's). Of course God has provided the means but I have been charged with the application of the means...great Physcians, Surgeons, medications, healthy diet, EXCERCISE and moderation in life. I believe I have survived because I have embraced the means provided by The Good Lord as a life style. My excercise regimen is far different from what Allison describes, but it is what I embrace (for me this the secret) and LOVE to do. What is drudgery and perceived as nothing but excruciating will not last long as a life style. Most excercise involves some degree of discomfort so it is imperative that the discomfort is off set with a geniune joy of just doing "it"...whatever "it" might be.

Buddy said...

Allison,

I think that “spinning” is great for you...considering your profession. :o)

Workout Joy,

Buddy Lamb
www.SRBLife.com

Allison Kennedy said...

Thanks for posting, y'all--
I agree with you, Charlie. You have to find something you enjoy and can stick with, long-term. Glad you have found something that works. Also, I try to mix things up--cycling, walking, treadmills, kickboxing and yoga--to "find" other muscles. (which I'm sure they appreciate. :)

hope said...

Few things are more important than working on your body because you only get one in a lifetime. I am all about exercising and healthy eating, minus an occassional dark chocolate mini-binge. I look forward to the articles and tips. Best of luck on your blog!

Emily said...

Sounds great Allison. Tim mentioned tonight as we passed an LA Fitness Spa that he would like to start "spinning." I've never heard of that term and already in the last hour I've heard it twice; once from him, then you. **My health routine has always been walking in combination with a low-fat diet. For the last almost 30 years I've walked 20 miles a week. For the last 10+ years I've stayed on a low-fat diet; my family is on it as well (probably because I do the cooking and the grocery shopping!). We are all better for it too! **You looked great in your Christmas picture, so you're doing something right.

Howdy said...

Well, I don't mind saying, physical fitness and all of its supporting cast is my hot button. To look at me one probably would not instantly see me as a fitness buff but few things catch my attention quicker. I have come to recognize that people with a healthy regard for their personal fitness are good people to be around. Allison, I miss our St. Luke meeting but I won't forget you and your faithfulness. Enjoy every minute that God gives you. This year let's get serious about what we put in our body and mind. Anything processed comes way behind natural.

You're a friend of mine, Bob from the "Lone Star" state

Allison Kennedy said...

BOB! It's great to hear from you. Really miss you over here. You're an inspiration.