A health and fitness blog: With an occasional food item

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Time ... is on my side.

"Time rules over us without mercy. Not caring if we're healthy or ill. Hungry or drunk. Russian, American, beings from Mars. It's like a fire, it could either destroy us or it could keep us warm. We live or we die by the clock. We never turn our back on it and we never ever allow ourselves the sin of losing track of time."
-- Tom Hanks as Chuck Noland, "Cast away"
Yesterday I bought a watch. No big deal except I haven't owned one in a very long time. Maybe a dozen or more years. I've lost track (of the time). Two reasons I haven't worn a watch lately: Like earrings and other pieces of jewelry, they tend not to fare well with me. I scratch them, lose them or bang them on things. Another reason is I'm a compulsive time-checker. I guess I'll become one again.
Since my dad's "episode" Dec. 18, time has interested me more. One, because the surgeon remarked they opened him up just in time. And two, that had Daddy not stopped his blood thinner when he did, he could have bled to death during surgery. Just a recent, though major, instance in which time was on his/our side. (Another "time" story related to surgery: Another surgeon, whose name I forget, once told students that they only have only one minute to accomplish a certain task in surgery. "So take your time," she said.
Time ... is it on your side, as the song goes?

No comments: